Re: Tutorial length. The Parallel Book

From: Gilles LAMIRAL
Subject: Re: Tutorial length. The Parallel Book
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 16:06:24 +0100

Hi Ole,

I give some comments about the Parallel Book

Title
Maybe remove "2018", next years will come sooner than expected.
Suggestion: "The GNU Parallel Book"

About the reading levels : 5 levels looks too much,
just 2 or 3 levels at max is simpler for the reader and for you the writer.

* level 1: for beginners & basic users. One bar |
* level 2: for advanced users. Two bars ||
* level 3: for hardcore, source code users. |||

Another point, the system bar, if any, should be self-evident.
The current five levels system is not self-evident at all,
I see 2 bars, it means level 2, but no: it's level 5 indeed.
I see 1 bar, well, it's what level actually?

The initial tour, chapter 2, at level 1 only, is a very good thing,
it's the tutorial for beginners I need when I start using a tool.

The other chapters are also well classified. But instead of
mixing level 1 and level x several times in the same chapter,
starting with level 1 and increasing difficulties to next level
could bring an easier way to learn and master Parallel.

The constant questions the reader asks himself are:
 * "Where am I?"
 * "Should I skip what I'm reading? Will I miss something relevant?"

Initial tour of 5 minutes

Ole, it took me 25 minutes to read and apply this initial "5 minutes" chapter 2.
I used copy/paste for the examples and I was already familiar with parallel.
Those 25 minutes don't include the comments I'm writing now.

2.1 Input sources

The sentence "The values are put after ::: :" is very ambiguous!
Is it a typo? 3 ::: or 4 :::: (I do understand what the last is but
it is not a good punctuation character in the Parallel context.

2.2 Building the command line

Typo: "It can contain contain a command"

Another ambiguous sentence due to punctuation mark:
"The command line is put before the :::."

Suggestion: The command line is put before the three consecutive colons :::
characters.

 --dry-run could be called --dry (I'm lazy)

 2.4 Controlling the execution

 For the -j parameter, instead of the wget, I suggest to test two
 similar commands

   parallel -j2   sleep {}';' echo {} done :::  5 4 3 2 1 6 7 8 9 2 2 1 0

   parallel -j20  sleep {}';' echo {} done :::  5 4 3 2 1 6 7 8 9 2 2 1 0

The second demonstrates what happens when all sleep commands are launched
in parallel, all the "sleep x" finish at the nearly same time, after x seconds.
The first demonstrates the sequential behavior forced by the "2 runs at the
time"
restriction.

Of course, that's just suggestion, you're the master!