Re: GNU Parallel 20180222 ('Henrik') released

From: Ole Tange
Subject: Re: GNU Parallel 20180222 ('Henrik') released
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2018 01:45:55 +0100

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:48 PM, Hans Schou <chlor@schou.dk> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 10:55 PM, Ole Tange <tange@gnu.org> wrote:
>
>> * --embed makes it possible to embed GNU parallel in a shell script.
>
> Ain't that a dirty hack ;-)

>From https://github.com/kou1okada/lesser-parallel

"""Lesser Parallel, a bash script library like the GNU Parallel. It
only has lesser functions than the GNU Parallel. But it can use easily
in any bash script with embedding."""

When embedding can be the selling feature of a competitor, then it is
time to see, if it can be done.

(If you find --embed dirty, be prepared to feel even dirtier if you
look at env_parallel/parset).

> I got the speech prepared: Within this decade, GNU Parallel would be rolled
> out on all desktops. Not because it is easy, but because it is hard; because
> that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and
> skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we
> are unwilling to postpone, and one we intend to win.

:)

/Ole