partysip-dev

[Partysip-dev] ipv6 support for partysip

From: Hicks, Jamey
Subject: [Partysip-dev] ipv6 support for partysip
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:41:42 -0500

We are interested in using osip, partysip, and SIP ua's such as linphone over
IPv6.  I had patched an earlier version of partysip to work with IPv6, but the
parts that I patched changed pretty radically in the recent release, so it
needs to be redone.  It looks like it is going to be more work this time.

Here's what I think needs to be done:
1) change the ppl_ functions that take struct sockaddr_in * and use struct
sockaddr * instead, and then modify those functions that modify the elements to
look at the address family to deal with it appropriately.

2) replace all the uses of 'unsigned long one_inet_addr' and inet_addr() with
something that does not assume a 4 byte address.

3) consider dropping gethostbyname in favor of getaddrinfo.  I think that
getaddrinfo can handle the case where there are both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses
available for a hostname, while gethostname can only return addresses belonging
to one family.

4) check the libosip parser for support for both ipv4 and ipv6 addresses.

5) consider providing a common udp/tcp transport library that is used by
partysip, linphone, etc, to reduce the redundant work going into this
functionality.

For reference, here is a guide for porting applications and servers to IPv6:
  http://wwws.sun.com/software/solaris/ipv6/porting_guide_ipv6.pdf

-Jamey