partysip-dev

Re: [Partysip-dev] PartySIP and NAT (of course)

From: CJ Kucera
Subject: Re: [Partysip-dev] PartySIP and NAT (of course)
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 19:06:50 -0500

Aymeric Moizard wrote:
> I suggest you to use ser or sipproxd which have capability
> to resolv NAT issue probably much better than partysip.

This will go a little OT here, but I think it'll be useful to anyone
who's searching around the web for similar reasons, so this way it'll
get into the thread archive.

siproxd did, in fact, do exactly what I wanted, with the following
config (at least the relevant bits):

> if_inbound = eth0
> if_outbound = eth0
> host_outbound = (external IP)
> rtp_proxy_enable = 1

With that config, all I had to do was punch ports 5060 and rtp_port_low
to rtp_port_high (7070-7079 by default) through to the siproxd server.
Then on my SIP client I just configured it as if it were on the "outside"
but set the "outgoing proxy" to my internal box running siproxd.  So that
was pretty simple.  (Not all clients will support an outgoing proxy, but
at least kphone does.)

Also, after the fact, it may be worth noting that I found a client
called Twinkle ( http://twinklephone.com ) which can live behind a NAT
very easily all by itself without any proxy, just requiring five ports
to be punched through to the box running Twinkle (three if you don't
care about a second line).  Apart from being somewhat unfortunately
named and being at version 0.1, it looks quite solid.

</OT>

Thanks again for your input!

-CJ

--
WOW: Kakistocracy           |   "Happiness isn't good enough for me!  I
address@hidden   |              demand euphoria!"