pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Re: Comments to the Encoded Text API

From: jemarch
Subject: [pdf-devel] Re: Comments to the Encoded Text API
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 23:19:06 +0100

   >    The approach given in the Text Encoding API is quite similar to the
   >    way things are done in Windows OS, where you first have to ask for the
   >    specific ANSI Code Page being used (GetACP) and then use that
   >    identifier in MultiByteToWideChar or WideCharToMultiByte functions.
   >    The equivalent two-step approach in GNU/Linux would be done with
   >    nl_langinfo (to get the name of the encoding set in the locale) and
   >    GNU libiconv for the conversions, so it's possible, but not sure if
   >    it's really needed.
   >
   > So the problem remains for POSIX systems, isnt it?.
   > What do people think about this?

   Well, maybe I should have been talking about 'iconv' and not 'GNU
   libiconv'. 'GNU libiconv' is just an implementation of the 'iconv' API
   for systems including GNU libraries (it is supposed to be highly
   portable, anyway). The 'iconv' API is part of the Single UNIX
   Specification (SUS) standard, so should be implemented in most UNIX
   systems.

If you consider that iconv is portable enough then lets use it.