pdf-devel

[pdf-devel] Re: one or four libraries?

From: Tim Retout
Subject: [pdf-devel] Re: one or four libraries?
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 22:58:09 +0000

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 20:49 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> Right now we are thinking in a suitable sources organization for the
> library. The issue is being discussed in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pdf-devel/2008-01/msg00019.html I
> would like to hear your opinion.

Hi! I'm also interested in libgnupdf development - mainly for writing
command-line applications that generate PDFs.

One thing about question 2 that I saw is that if libgnupdf is a single
library, it must link against libcairo. Does this mean that any
application that wrote PDFs using libgnupdf would need a (direct or
indirect) dependency on cairo? Even if they were not concerned about
display at all?

For this reason, I think that even if the four layers are not completely
split into four separate libraries, there should be at least two; one
containing everything needed for visual rendering, and one at a level
which lets you work with the document format. Does this correspond to
the 'Page' and 'Document' layers?

Handling several dependent libraries would not be that much of a problem
for distributions - dependency handling is what it's all about.

--
Tim Retout <address@hidden>