pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Some suggestions...

From: Cirilo Bernardo
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Some suggestions...
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:56:14 +1000

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:44 PM, Eder <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
>  I have been getting around the gnu pdf web and knowledge base and I only
>  wanted to point two things that could enhance the project management and
>  development very much (IMHO)
>
>  One is the use of svn instead cvs (http://subversion.tigris.org/), with
>  for me is much better, and the other one is the use of trac
>  (http://trac.edgewall.org/)

I really don't see an advantage of svn over cvs in this particular
instance; besides, cvs has been used successfully by numerous other
projects over the years and I don't see any fundamental reasons why it
will not work for this one.  If you really wanted something
substantially different you might consider something like 'git', but
then the hosting becomes your problem (not to mention you will need to
train people to use git or find programmers who can already use it
well).

>  Trac integrates all the main issues of the development process such as
>  tickets, bugs, tasks, wiki, etc,...

I don't see a problem with the current system for tracking things.  If
there are fundamental issues at a later date, then that would be the
time to change.

>  Maybe It is not possible because of the requirements of the savannah
>  server or lack of time and resources.
>
>  What do you think?
>
>  Eder.

Lack of time and resources is not a significant issue; the biggest
issue is: what's the point?  Everyone has their favorite program for
this and that - programmers should be concerned with developing the
code and not playing games switching version control software and
other tools - that is an absolutely pointless waste of time in this
case.

- Cirilo