pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Problems with task #64

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Problems with task #64
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 03:47:35 +0200

Hi Gerel.

   You may have a point but I can't see it. See the output I get when changing
   pdf_char_t to 'char' with the -funsigned-char flag and without it (on intel).

   [...]

   I don't consider either one as a 'soulution' per se, I mean, if we start
using
   that flag, our code will be full of "(signed char*)". Am I wrong ?

It would not be needed because we are not going to use pdf_char_t
values as signed ones. With -funsigned-char the system functions
expecting char* would expect 'unsigned char*', so we could pass
pdf_char_t* values (that are currently unsigned) to these functions
without having to do an explicit cast to avoid the warning launched by
-Wall.

Anyway, this is a minor issue. Programs that depend on
-funsigned-char are less portable than programs that dont depend on
it, so at this point I would say to go ahead and continue using the
explicit casts when calling system functions. If you agree please
close the task with a DISCARDED state.

   We keep casting like god orders.

We have no gods in the church of Emacs ;)