pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Re: GNU PDF functions

From: jemarch
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Re: GNU PDF functions
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:21:20 +0200

Hello Hardy.

Any new about this? We need to take a decision because we are close to
finish the base layer of the library.

      My old implementation uses a  pdf_func_t type.
      A call to pdf_eval_func( pdf_func_t, pdf_real_t in[], pdf_real_t out[])
      can evaluate any pdf function in a uniform way.

      Strangely enough, this highly specialized type seems to belong to the
      base layer. Its internals reflect the description in section 3.9, with
      emphasis on function application only. It is not a pdf object, and it
      does not use pdf objects. The object layer would provide
      a conversion constructor from  pdf_obj_t to pdf_func_t.
      The base layer would handle cleanup and deallocation.

      What's your opinion?

   Given that interface and given that all the configuration parameters
   for any type of function can be expressed using base layer data types,
   I agree in that we can implement pdf_func_t in the base layer. There
   is a pdf_func_new_* function for each type of function, isnt it?

   So the question now is, what module in the base layer is the right one
   to contain the implementation of pdf_func? May we define a new module
   for that?

   In any case I think that the interpolation routines definite belong
   to the pdf-fp module: other parts of the library may find these
   functions useful.