pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] Request for a new Text module method: pdf_text_get_print

From: Aleksander Morgado
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] Request for a new Text module method: pdf_text_get_printable ()
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 14:33:24 +0200

>  > * Initially, the printable string is not allocated.
>  > * The first time this pdf_text_get_printable() method is called in a
>  > given pdf_text_t, it will internally setup the proper string contents to
>  > be returned.
>  > * The following times this method is called, and IF the pdf_text_t
>  > contents have not been modified, the same internal string is returned.
>  > * Whenever the contents of the pdf_text_t are modified, the internal
>  > buffer should be freed, so that any new call to pdf_text_get_printable()
>  > will re-create the printable string again with the proper contents.
>  >

> Hey Aleks,
>
> We shouldn't forget about multi-threading in that case, right ?

Not really. Note that the internal buffer will not be common to all
pdf_text_t objects, but a different internal buffer in each pdf_text_t
(just as the standard internal buffer containing the UTF-32HE encoded
string). So, if the same object is to be used by different threads, then
the app using the object should provide proper sync mechanisms to access
the object.