pdf-devel

Re: [pdf-devel] FS#72 jpx filter implementation

From: Jose E . Marchesi
Subject: Re: [pdf-devel] FS#72 jpx filter implementation
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:17:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Gerel.

    Hi, I'm close to start this task. As noted on the task summary
    there are two possible libraries we can use to implement this
    filter. So, I wrote a review on each aspect I considered that was
    needed.

Many thanks for working out this nice report.

    Licence
    ----------
    ## OpenJPEG
    BSD Licence.

    ## Jasper
    Jasper Licence (based on MIT licence).

Both licenses are GPLv3 compatible.

    ## OpenJPEG
    Not specified, though the source tree contains libs/libtiff and
libs/freeimage
    directories.

We need to check the licenses of any third party software distributed
with OpenJPEG.  They may be GPL-incompatible.

    ## Jasper
    For JPEG support needs the IJG library.  For jiv (image viewer)
    needs GLUT.

Same there.

    Installation
    -----------------
    ## OpenJPEG
    Makefile (seems they use CMake)

I lightly tried to cross compile the library with mingw32 without
success.

    "Unlike JasPer, another open-source JPEG 2000 implementation, OpenJPEG fully
    respects the JPEG 2000 specification and can compress/decompress lossless
16-bit
    images."

Even if jasper doesn't implement the full OpenJPEG standard, it would
be suitable for use in libgnupdf if it covers our needs.  Please check
in the PDF specification.

--
Jose E. Marchesi    address@hidden
GNU Project         http://www.gnu.org