perlpanel-devel

Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Applet scheme

From: Gavin Brown
Subject: Re: [Perlpanel-devel] Applet scheme
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 10:09:54 +0100

> - I didn't manage to find instructions (on the web pages) how to
>   actually install the applets, packaged as described.

I've just updated the man perlpanel.pod document to describe how you
install applets. The next release has a neat little installer for
applets - I've got a screenshot here:

http://jodrell.net/projects/index.html/article/1096287256.html

It can be accessed from the Action Menu and from the Configurator. I
might even make it possible to drag-and-drop the tarball onto the panel
to install it.

> - I think it might be worth mentioning, that the name you give to the
>   extra icons placed in the icon directory, is the one you can give to
>   PerlPanel::lookup_icon to find the actual file.

I've updated the howto to explain this.

> - The applet submission form does not allow submitting the applet file
>   directly, but just linking to it. Is it intentional? I have no web
>   page to my applet on.

If possible, I'd prefer not to have the hassle of hosting these myself.
You can always set up a Geocities page or something to host your applet.

I might be persuaded to put a file upload on that page if enough people
ask me.

Thanks for the feeback,

Gavin.

--