perlpanel-devel

[Perlpanel-devel] Adding launcher to panel fails

From: Inge Thorin Eidsaether
Subject: [Perlpanel-devel] Adding launcher to panel fails
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 14:32:56 -0000

Hi Gavin & folks

I've been Googling for a solution to the following problem,
as well as searching the devel mailing list archives, but so
far have found no solution:

Trying to add a launcher to perlpanel (v0.9.0), causes an error
in the form of a dialog box w/ the message (somewhat wrapped by me):

Can't locate Gnome2/VFS.pm in @INC
(@INC contains: /usr/share/perlpanel/ /etc/perl
/usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.4 /usr/local/share/perl/5.8.4
/usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.8
/usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .
/home/inge/.perlpanel/applets
/usr/share/perlpanel//PerlPanel/Applet)
 at /usr/share/perlpanel//PerlPanel/DesktopEntry.pm line 22.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
 at /usr/share/perlpanel//PerlPanel/DesktopEntry.pm line 22.
Compilation failed in require
 at /usr/share/perlpanel//PerlPanel/Applet/Launcher.pm line 21.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted
 at /usr/share/perlpanel//PerlPanel/Applet/Launcher.pm line 21.
Compilation failed in require
 at (eval 22) line 1.

If I'm not much mistaken, it looks for GnomeVFS, but fails to find it.
Installed on my system were libgnomevfs2-0 2.8.3-8 and
libgnomevfs2-common 2.8.3-8, but not libgnomevfs2-dev,
so I installed it, but now the error message just said:

Can't locate object method "new"
 via package "PerlPanel::Applet::Launcher" at (eval 62) line 1.

>From here I have no idea...

(history so far, for the curious)
After 1st launch, perlpanel bombed, complaining about
a missing hicolor-icon-theme package, so I had to install
this myself. After that it started fine. I also had to
install libgtk2-trayicon-perl and libgtk2-traymanager-perl
later on, to get the tray widget working. Those ones may
for all I know boil down to faulty .deb packaging.

Since I am not a programmer, the above eludes me.
No other real alternative to perlpanel exist, unless
you want the 'bloat' that goes with KDE and Gnome.
I am running a fairly old system, so I won't
ditch perlpanel just yet!

Could any of you guys help me out here?
Any help sure would be appreciated.

BTW: Running Debian GNU/Linux testing & kernel 2.4.18

best regards,

Inge Thorin Eidsaether
probot at warpmail dot net

--

If an electric circuit cannot fail, it will. (Murphy)