perlpanel-devel

[Perlpanel-devel] Switching through windows

From: Jason Brian Friedrich
Subject: [Perlpanel-devel] Switching through windows
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 01:27:55 +0200

Hi together,

after a few months of using Mac OS X i returned to Gentoo Linux (but on a PPC machine) and tried to use PerlPanel as well. I assumed no problems beacuse it worked a few months ago.

I tried the release tarball and tried to built it from CVS, but with both versions i receive the same errors. When i try to use the window list applet, try to switch/select another windows, this error occurs (openbox and metacity):

*** unhandled exception in callback:
*** Usage: Gnome2::Wnck::Window::activate(window, timestamp) at /usr/local/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel/Applet/WindowMenu.pm line 82.
***  ignoring at /usr/local/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel.pm line 184.

The selected windows will not be activated and pulled to the foreground.

Also the gnome menu applet does not work anymore. When added to the panel, i receive this message when perlpanel is started:

Error loading 'applications:': error-not-supported

It seems that it can not communicate with the vfs, but everything seems to be installed correctly. I also encountered an error when i try to use the panel in German language. After i configured the panel, an error message shows up:

*** Can't use string ("Panel-Position 'unten' is invalid") as a subroutine ref while "strict refs" in use at /usr/local/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel.pm line 920.*** ignoring at /usr/local/lib/perlpanel/PerlPanel.pm line 184.

The word 'unten' is German for 'bottom'. It seems that perlpanel writes 'unten' in the config file, instead of 'bottom' and this word is of course not a valid configuration option. I could image that this affects other languages too.

Anyone also experienced these errors? I have added an excerpt of my installed perl modules. I use GNOME 2.8.1, installed via portage tree. If any other information or version number is needed, please let me know.

Best regards,
Jason

-- Perl modules installed (excerpt) --

Glib -- 1.100