pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] the exit executable

From: Xavier Noria
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] the exit executable
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 20:47:04 +0100

I opened the exit executable with Emacs to play around with that example from chapter 3. This is the first time I see a binary file, but the help of Hexl mode explains very well how to interpret the buffer.

I've got a few questions:

* Is there a more or less direct relationship between the fetch-execute cycle outlined in chapter 2 and those numbers?

* Are those same bytes the ones loaded in memory before the program is executed? I mean, is that the real stuff the computer finally understands?

* Why is the executable six times bigger than the source file?

-- fxn