pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] exit program

From: Richard Wright
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] exit program
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2005 16:36:50 +0000

In an effort to ensure that the code has the file name exit.s, I have tried running it like this:

#/bin/sh
#as -o exit.s
.section .data
(etc)
#as exit.s -o exit.o.

It REALLY didn't like that one! It printed off around 50 error messages most of which were along the lines of

"junk at end of line, first unrecognised character valued 0x8"

Also

"unknown pseudo-op: `.symtab"

And

"invalid character (0xffffffbb) in mnemonic"

What I was hoping for was by running the assembler and telling it to put the output in exit.s I would then have the exit.s file containing the exit program, rather than it just being an empty file as I suspect it is at the moment.

I know that my computer will run this program, since I had it working at one stage. It was a total fluke, so to find out how I did it, I tried it again, except with a differnt value in the %ebx register. Since then I haven't been able to get it to work. I would say Ive done everything as I did the first time, but obviously I'm not because otherwise it would be running.

You may be onto something with the desktop. Thing is I can't see any "save as" option or similar. All that happens on the desptop is after I enter
as exit.s -o exit.o
(file exit.s does not exist)
the exit.o file appears in the file manager window. After linking the exit program appears as an executable. It does what it is designed to do, just for all the wrong reasons.

can you clarify naming procedure at all?