pgubook-readers

[Pgubook-readers] immediate mode addressing vs address

From: Tom Felb
Subject: [Pgubook-readers] immediate mode addressing vs address
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 19:58:33 +0200

Hi group!

I have a hardcopy version of "Programming from the Ground up" and I don't understand what's the difference between immediate mode addressing like movl $12, %eax (load eax with number 12) and $variablename, %eax (load the address of variablename into eax)

That's the same syntax with the dollar sign? I'm a little bit confused!??

Thanks for any help!

tfb