Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] hello to Sieve

From: Tony (Angles) Puglisi
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] hello to Sieve
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:54:39 +0000

Lars Kneschke (address@hidden) wrote*:

>Will you use Sieve only inside the email app? Or do you plan to use it with
>the cyrus imap server?

Portable, use it anywhere. If the site has Sieve capabilities on the server
side,
grab the users Sieve scripts and use it there, if not, then the client
(phpgroupware) can do it.

Currently Cyrus IMAP is one of the few server side services that uses Sieve
natively, however the Sieve docs anticipate it can be employed anywhere along
the
chain of email propagation, SMTP incoming, SMTP before final destination, after
final destination (maildrop ?), at the mail server side of things (Cyrus IMAP
server) or at the client level.

Sieve 1.3 was seperate from the Cyrus server, then they merged the code into the
Cyrus IMAP tree (it's there in it's own directory in the tarball, Sieve version
2.0
I think) and the info I read indicated they may seperate it out again so it may
be
implemented elsewhere.

I believe, as they do, that the concept of "mail delivery" is a rather abstract
thing and filtering can be done at various points and with various methods
along the
line.

>I want to create a filter file for maildrop. I don't want to sort my emails
>in phpgroupware only, but direct on the imap server.
>
>Is that possible with your concept?

That's the point of using standardized rules and syntax (Sieve), it can act as a
kind of XML file (think standard DTD) which can be transformed to other
filtering
schemas that already exist.

Anyone know of an XML spec for Sieve, or for mail filtering in the abstract, or
for
ANYTHING related to mail filtering?
--
that's "angle" as in geometry