Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: darn near email done, merge notificat

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: darn near email done, merge notification
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 16:30:33 +0000

Lets make a list of bugs in .14 email and Angles can backport only those things
that fix the bugs.  Would this be acceptable to the rules?  I think we'll find
that
only 2 peices get left out though, the filters and maybe the raw email viewing.
Every other feature exsits in .14 but doesn't work right.

I don't want to rework the rules, I understand them and think them a good thing.
What I'm trying to help people understand is that most of what Angles has done
in
HEAD since the branch is nothing more than bug fixes to .14, and none of it is
in
the API.

Chris

Miles Lott (address@hidden) wrote*:

> [...]
>> Yes we have rearranged the leadership to a "Leadership Team" which is
>> going to be better for the project, because there will be more diverse
>> input into the decisions as well as more people to make on the spot
>> calls. But I will certainly do everything I can to keep this a friendly
>> and fun project to work on. Hostility will kill this project... I wont
>> accept that.
>>
>> Now on the reasons that the new email code is not simply new features,
>> but can be considered bug fixes, is that when the branch was made their
>> were tons of non-working hooks in place that will terribly confuse
>> users. These screens and fields are now working as they should be. These
>> non/partially-working screens will be considered big huge bugs to users
>> and will be a cause for confusion. So there are two choices... 1) fix
>> the screens to make them work, which is what Angles did in the HEAD,  2)
>> Remove these screens and all links to them, which no one has done.
>> I would think option 1 has the most benefit, since the code is done, and
>> I have been using it for awhile now and it works. It gives is a very
>> nice set of features to brag about and offer to our users. Option 2
>> would still need to be done, and would remove the chance to offer those
>> features in this release.
>>
>> Additionally what Jason wrote (see below) is a very valid point. We
>> screwed up with the way we announced and created this freeze. It was
>> basicly announced at the same time the CVS branch was created. We should
>> have given a little more time for the last minute stuff to be discussed
>> and decided on before the branch was created so that we would have a
>> hard list of what was in and what was out.
>>
>> Now as far as Angles screwing up. He did. He keep waiting too long to
>> get this code done. Of course we all have things that keep us from
>> getting everything done, since this is a volunteer effort, but this did
>> drag out longer than it should have. He knew what happened last time,
>> and repeated the mistake. I dont think it was worth the hanging he
>> recieved, but it does screw up release plans and stuff when developers
>> do this. And, if he did screw up preferences by messing with the api
>> files instead of doing it all with hooks, then that causes problems that
>> the core team has ever right to yell and scream about. But the energy
>> should be directed at "teaching" how to do it right, not lamblasting him
>> for doing it wrong.
>>
>> Well, Im sure I have started enough mess for now.
>>
>> Seek3r
>>
>> Jason Wies wrote:
>> >
>> > I must misunderstand the nature of a feature freeze.  I thought the process
was:

>> > Announce that there will be a feature freeze
>> > Code features
>> > Enact feature freeze and create new branch
>> > Fix bugs, no new features in the new branch
>> >
>> > In this case, the enacting came three days after the announcement, and the
only reason the branch wasn't created as soon was because of the SF->Savannah
move.  Are you saying that the process is actually:

>> > Announce that there will be a feature freeze, enact feature freeze and
>> > create
new branch
>> > Add new features
>> > Create RC, no new features in new branch
>> >
>> > If that's the case, then sorry for bringing it up, but I really thought
>> > that
when Milosch announced the feature freeze that meant it was time to concentrate
on
fixing bugs, and save new features for HEAD.