Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro

From: Buchan Milne
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Palm synchro
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 17:18:03 +0200

Ben Cottrill wrote:
| Hi,
|
| One thing keeping us tied to microsoft solutions is the contingent of
PHBs who
| need to sync their palm to a group calendar. (Switching their desktops to
| linux is not an option...)
|
| Has anyone worked on a windows solution?  Or even though about where
to begin?
| It sounds from the recent discussion like the server side logic for palm
| syncing will be hammered out soon, at which point it becomes a desktop
issue.

| Would any of the following approaches (for windows users) be valid?
|
| 1. find a windows alternative to hotsync that can be hacked at- work from
| there.  (Or is there a way to get coldsync to work on windows?)

It should be relatively easy to get coldsync running on windows, by
compiling with cygwin. All that would be necessary is a cygwin.dll to be
distributed with coldsync.

| 2. TrueSync integration?  (looks proprietary, but Yahoo and Excite
calendars
| uses it)
| 3. Email items created in the group calendars to recipients in the
winmail.dat
| format, and let outlook insert the stuff into members' calendars. -- I
don't
| think there is much documentation on this, but it is nice in that all the
| users who are super dependent on outlook to pop up reminders and sync
their
| palms to outlook are able to take advantage of the phpgw goodness.

TNEF (aka winmail.dat) should not be used by anyone for anything. A
proper MIME attachment in VCARD would work better.

| 4.  Plugin for MS outlook that connects to phpgw via xmlrpc or syncml?
 Users
| can then sync their palms in outlook and the plugins would magically
zap data
| back and forth to the phpgw server.

Now this is where things would get interesting. The Mozilla people are
looking at trying to get the Mozilla calendar speaking to phpgw. Having
outlook support it would be great. I have sample code for Mozilla what
will log into phpgw via xmlrpc, I just need to start playing with it
more ...

| I don't know enough about MS outlook to know whether any of these are
viable,
| but I do know that the end result would make phpgw a very attractive
| alternative to small companies that would rather not spend $10K+ in
exchanges
| licenses.

And calendars and tasks are the only things that can't currently be
provided by an open-source solution.

Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202