Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print vi

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Templates class, CSS support and print view support
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 23:18:42 -0700

Jason Wies wrote:

> On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 08:46:43PM -0700, Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r) wrote:
> > Print view:
> I think a good requirement for the print view is "don't require a print
> version for every template file".  Generic printer friendly pages are usually
> just the same HTML without the branding fluff around it, and wouldn't require
> any special treatment by the app.  Without any experimentation, I would
> suggest a combination of 1 and 2 above, so the checking sequence would be:
>
> - selected $template -
> 1) app/templates/$template/$filename_print.tpl
> 2) app/templates/default/$filename_print.tpl
>
> - print -
> 3) app/templates/default/$filename.tpl
>
> I would NOT check app/templates/$template/$filename.tpl in print mode,
> because individual template files may depend on CSS, JavaScript, etc. that is
> defined in the template header, which in this case wouldn't be included.  The
> default template file, however, shouldn't have any special dependancies.
>
> A hybrid approach like this should handle the 90% of pages that don't have
> any special printing requirements, while still giving the app control for
> those pages that need it.  This may have been what you intended with 1 above.

I see what your saying, but Im not sure I like the idea of skipping
app/templates/$template/$filename.tpl.
My primary reason is that lets say an app creates _print files for all
the ones that wouldnt print well, but the rest would print fine. They
would still end up having to maintain _print versions of the ones that
worked fine anyways.

> And just a random thought to add.  One of the properties of some printer
> friendly pages is that all entries in a list are displayed (all pages in a
> story, all names in a directory, etc.).  It might be a worthwhile experiment
> to modify the nextmatchs (sic) class when the print flag is set.

This is a good point. Maybe there should be some global printview
setting that gets set and used by all the places that may adjust things
for printer friendly issues.

Seek3r