Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Weekly Rant ... mini version tonight

From: Alex Borges (lex)
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Weekly Rant ... mini version tonight
Date: 25 Sep 2002 12:46:23 -0500

> I think some tough decisions need to be made about what apps are in and
> those which are out, it is very difficult to support unmaintained apps.

>  Also imo email is a major problem that must be sorted out, most of the
> bugs listed are fixed in anglemail.

Oh yes.... i mean, there has been a lot of work done in anglemail and
felamimail that wouldnt be smart to not leverage. I dont know, but from
the looks of the bugs, it wouldnt be too bad to start directing the
posters of the bugs to fela and angles for starters (id rather we
collaborate with both, felamimail and anglemail than continue to support
the current mail app), then we decide what we are going to do with an
official email app.

So what think is that, as a first step for the stable branch, phpgw
officialy drops the email app (i know, it doesnt sound too good for a
stable branch) and tells its users that its not going to be supported
anymore.

I also think that for both fela and angles we are approaching a 1.0
version since they will need major rehaul with the changes for the next
phpgw release. So addopting both as official mail solutions aint such a
bad idea, to the length that we can drop the current email app. I mean,
in practice, its existance is only confusing. They come to the channel
asking why doesnt it do this or that and we direct them to the other
mail apps anyway.

What i mean is that we can freeze an anglemail (fela is already frozen
in 9.14) release and up it to our stable branch. Then we close all the
bugs with a siwtch-to-fela-or-angles response.

Its a posibility, i hope im not going to far, short -whatever.

--
Alex (Lex) Borges
Software Engineer