[Phpgroupware-developers] MD5 authentification

From: Guillaume Courtois
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] MD5 authentification
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 14:10:30 +0000

Hi all,

This is for everybody's general knowledge, and especially for Chris who was
apparently interested in this subject.

After searching on this MD5 encoding problem, I have found that the syncml
protocol
has changed from version 1.0.1 to 1.1 : in 1.0.1 the syncml client was coding it
this way :

base64(md5(username:passwd:nonce))

People who write the syncml protocol apparently have seen that it was a problem
for
products who were not storing the logging informations this way, and have
changed it
to :

base64(md5(base64(md5(username:password)):nonce))

You can check this in

http://www.syncml.org/docs/changes_for_syncml_represent_v11_20020215.pdf

pages 16 and 17.

Well, unless I have misunderstood something, this still causes a problem for us
since phpGW stores only md5(password). So I requested for help in the SyncML ML,
explaining our problem, but the only one who responded to me was for saying
that I
was not understanding how it was working, that I should try to search on my
own, and
stop bothering other people on such evident subjects ...

Well, does someone here understand it better than I (english is sometimes hard
understand for me !), and confirm my understanding of the problem, or have I
missed
something ?

Anyway, until we can correct this, I will only use plain text passwords ...

Regards.