Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Translation (UTF8)

From: Ralf Becker
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Translation (UTF8)
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:14:10 +0200

Guillaume Courtois wrote:
About UTF8. I think it would be fine to have all text in phpgw in utf8. Any
modern browser does support it and it would make support different languages
easier.

I'm a little late in responding to that. Sorry ...

There's a change in 0.9.16 for the login part : it now uses the lang table to
know
which charset it should use, depending on the langage of the user. I have made a
table of charsets based on what I have found on internet, I can't remember
exactly
what is inside but if I'm correct most of the charsets are in utf8 already ...

Thats not completly right. utf8 (unicode) includeds most of the symbols of the other charsets, BUT the representation of that sysmbols is different. So you can't just change the charset phrase of the lang-file to utf8 for all languages. Alle lang-files have to be converted.

An other thought is only *most* of the *modern* browsers understand and fully support Unicode. So for most of the european languages we have nothing to gain with changeing to unicode, only extra work and maybe some probs with older browsers.

Asian languages only work with unicode and do so already in phpGW. They can use the english lang-file (which they need) as it contains only 7-bit standard ASCII chars which have the same representation in Unicode as in iso-8859-1 (their translation of charset).

To be able to make a new translation you have to do the following steps:
1) Translate the charset phrase of the langfile in phpgwapi/setup to your "new" language.
2) read it into the db
3) change your prefs to use that language
4) ==> now the next page will have the correct charset in its headers, so u can start makeing the other translations with the TranslationTools.

Ralf

PS. Maybe we should add this to the wiki ;-)
Ralf Becker
digital ROCK, Becker & Macht GbR            Telefon +49 (631) 31657-51
Leibnizstraße 17                            Telefax +49 (631) 31657-52
D-67663 Kaiserslautern                 EMail address@hidden