Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Philipp Kamps

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Philipp Kamps
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 00:09:07 +0200 (MEST)

> Le sam 14/06/2003 à 00:54, Dave Hall a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I know like i always seem like the one who disagrees with with what
> probi
> > proposes, and once again I am.  There are several reasons for this.
> >
> > >From what I have read of the "documentation" they have developed, they
> > appear to lack an understanding of how phpgroupware works and the way
> the
>  project
> > operates.  I do not claim to understand every app or the whole API, I
> dou
> bt
> > any of our developers do, but I have spent considerable time studying
> it.
> >

> Hmmm... is there any documentation, then which reflects more
> reallistically what the principles of phpgw are ?

Do you mean the design principles or the organisational prinicples?  For the
former, there are quite afew docs on the wiki regarding this.  As for the
organisatioal ones, http://phpgroupware.org/wiki/restructure

> I think it's probably not my responsability to object, but I find it
> quite difficult to find reference design documents for potential
> contributors to phpgw concepts, so their contribution may be considered
> maybe a bit more friendly, at least if it serves as a way to suggest
> better ways to document...

The wiki has a lot of docs in it.  In the case of probiz, there attitude is
what has really got up my nose, and also there inability to listen to what
people have been saying and learn from that.  I think my track record on new
developers and ideas demostrates that I encourage people to become involved and
new ideas, and help as much as I can to see this happen.

> Code is not everything, you know ;)

Sure, this is a philosophy that I firmly beleive in.  I want to see some
code from probiz, because at the moment all i see is some proposals, which have
demostrated a lack of understanding of what phpGW is and its modular
structure.  They talk about doing things, but I am yet to see it moving.

> Also, having a publically writable wiki may help others to really
> contribute docs ?

This is an issue atm.  Our wiki contains important docs, which are there as
a reference, and others should be oublicly writable, but the wiki security
system does not currently support this.  Hopefully this will change if Ralf
ever gets some spare time, or someone submits a patch.

> Just my 2 cents, but, that's your project in the end ;)

Your 2 are welcome.  This is the community's project, not mine, I have never
claimed this to be my project :)

> P.S.: not having any link with that company.

I wouldn't mind if you do, I think you have raise some valid points.