RE: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and p

From: Christian Böttger
Subject: RE: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code header and php Documentor
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 12:43:21 +0200

G'day!

> > > probiz receive more than 300.000 EUR for developing a
> solution with
> > > phpgw.
> >
> > Wrong number. We are receiving money, yes. But we have to put and
> > will put
> > the same amount of money in it as well, as it is a 50% funding.
>
> Ok, so you have a lot to spend on development - cool, would be
> interested in seeing how many new features 600k EUR can buy.  As an

Hey, I already said that that was the wrong number! It's much too high.

> > That's plain wrong, otherwise noone would write anything
> > here from our company.

> I think you do not want to properly engage with the project.

We may have a different understanding about the word "properly".

> Nothing, I wish I could do the same.  I think some
> consultation with the
> community could have helped you improve that plan :)

Might be or not. Time and other factors did not permit it, unfortunately.

> Sorry, I think your inexperience is showing here.

That is your opinion. I beg to differ. The other side of the coin is, that
whatever we do and may do in the future, I feel that we always will be
attacked first. I've no problem with things not being accepted. But I do
have a problem with being bashed all the time.

> Ok, I would like to see some demostration of this.  So far
> you have been working on this for quite a few months - so far we have seen
a single
> class documented in someones "spare time".

For socumentation, yes. There have been postings including the database
documentation and the API (UML) documentation. And this has not been done in
spare time.

Other code will follow, as soon as we are able to finish off some of those
nasty commercial projects we have to do in order to make a living.

> > Commercial companies must produce money to exist, mustn't they?
>
> I think Karl Marx had a solution for that ;)  Ok no more Marx :)

Did it work out somewhere?

> > > I have no NDA with probiz and when anybody want know more about,
> > what> they want do, please ask. I hope we can declare it.
> >
> > Well, nobody will stop you from telling what you want. But we may
> > answer to
> > this as well if we feel that's you misunderstood something.
>
> That is your right, just as it is Reiner's right to express
> his opinion.

Didn't I just stated that as an introduction to my comment?

> Ok, what is the process for applying for existing developers who do
> reside in the local government region where you are based?  Is
> telecommuting a possibility?  I will be able to attend an interview in
> Hamburg is early August.

Telecommuting might be an option, but occasional face-to-face meeting are
definitely a must, at least in this thing. But we might have other things in
the future which can be done by telecommuniting without problem. So yes:
perhaps you can come down from Hamburg to Hannover some time (yes, we will
pay for the train).

> > Be honest: would you donate your business or private money to a
> > group of
> > people approaching you in this tone?
>
> I think it is a 2 way street.  Your initial approach to the
> project was pretty poor imho.

We will never find an agreement on that, I guess. So, what do we make of it?
Live with it or keep picking on it?

> I agree with some of what Reiner has said.  What I would
> suggest is for
> you to make a time with the active developers to discuss this
> matter, on
> irc, phone conference or via an off list email discussion.  As I have

No IRC possible over here, still. Phone conference might be a good idea, it
might be just a bit diffcult, taking into account the different time zones.
E-Mail: well, give us an address for it; but written communications might
just lead to further misunderstandings.

> stated in the past I have some concerns about your intentions with the
> project, and you approach to the project thus far.  I think
> if you have
> any interest in resolving these issues you really need to try to start
> over with the project.

Which would mean?

> vibrant.  At the
> same time I am yet to see a phpGW for survive.

Yes, why not?

Regards

Christian

--
*****    Open Source und Linux im professionellen Einsatz    *****
**  komplexe Mailserver, Groupware, Office: sprechen Sie uns an **