RE: RE: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code he ader a

From: Christian Böttger
Subject: RE: RE: RE: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: Standard source code he ader and php Documentor
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 12:29:46 +0200

G'day!

> I think it may take sometime for things to change.  At the same time I
> think we might be able to find some common ground.

Very good. I hope we will.

> [...] I am  generally
> a nice guy - who sometimes has a bad day :)

well, who hasn't got a bad day from time to time... fell glad not to have
seen one of mine so far...

> I understand this.  I think some of this may be useful, but also in
> phpgw the classes are more important than the db model they sit on top
> of, as it is the classes which are used to access the data,
> not via the db directly.

I very well know. And the mentioned UML class diagram which we published as
well of course does not show the database, but it shows the API classes.
BTW: it has been done with ArgoUML, so anyone can work with it as well.

We needed the database diagram anyway, it makes it much easier to look up
things. And i'm not sure whether there might be still some code not using
the API classes somewhere in phpGW. Then it comes handy to have the database
diagram as well.

> Looking forward to it, but I would suggest some discuss with us may
> reduce development time, and increase the likelyhood of the code being
> rolled into phpgw.

well, to put it short: we had time pressure with some things, so we just had
to start, even while there was no release candidate for 0.9.16, so we had to
start with 0.9.14 and are now starting to port it. That may take some time.
For other, new developments: yes, we will discuss things as far as possible.
The concepts are not yet in a state to be useful for discussion.

And another thing is: please no further comments (not from you, as far as I
remember) along the lines, "we don't want to see any concepts, we want to
see code". Either we are supposed to discuss before submitting code or not.

> As I said no more Marx, I could spend hours on this point :)

So can I. But that would go very off-topic...

> > So yes:
> > perhaps you can come down from Hamburg to Hannover some time (yes,
> > we will
> > pay for the train).
>
> Ok, we can discuss this off list,

ACK

> I thought you were based in Hamburg, I

No, we are based in Hannover, just 150 km south of Hamburg, approx 2 hours
by train.

> do have some spare time while in Germany, but not a lot, but I am sure
> we can work something out - btw my german is almost non
> existent, but I am trying to learn :)

no problem.

> > We will never find an agreement on that, I guess. So, what do we
> > make of it?
> > Live with it or keep picking on it?
>
> Lets try to move forward.

Agreed!

> If you can't use IRC I won't hold that against
> you, even though I may disagree with your reasoning.

Whatever... I have no influence on the network security policy in this case
at all; nor has anybody else from the software team.

> I am sure we can work out a mutually compatiable time.  I am generally
> available from 2300-1300 (UTC+2).  Many of our active contributors are
> in Europe with a few night owls in the US.  Let me know off
> list if you would like to set this up, I am happy to assist in making the
> arrangements.

Fine. Perhaps next week; we have an internal planning meeting this week had
have to see what comes out of that. If that doesn't work out, we'll have to
wait until beginning of August, when I'll be back from my summer break. But
I really would like to have Dan on the meeting.

> Think some type of discuss with some of the active contributors would
> help resolve the issues and start fresh.  Please keep in mind that API
> commit rights (or any cvs access) can not be the aim of this
> discussion, it would be more about trying to build a better working
relationship.

Setting "not to be discussed" items before a meeting might not be the best
thing, but well. I really don't care about write access to the API or
whereever else; apart from the Wiki (that would really help). We can submit
code through the patch submission mechanism; as long as someone bothers to
have a look at it after submission. And keep in mind: anything submitted
there is an offer, a proposal. If the code maintainer doesn't like it, fine
with me.

Regards

Christian

--
*****    Open Source und Linux im professionellen Einsatz    *****
**  komplexe Mailserver, Groupware, Office: sprechen Sie uns an **