[Phpgroupware-developers] OpenGroupware

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] OpenGroupware
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 10:39:18 -0700

The OpenGroupware project was just announced

http://www.opengroupware.org/

This is a open sourcing of the SKYRiX 4.1 groupware server, and is a very nice solution. Its written in GCC and using PostgreSQL for its datastore. It already has its own web interface, which isnt too bad and an xml-rpc interface.
Thru its Zidestore module it supports Outlook, and Evolution clients.
It also supports PDA sync and has a WebDAV daemon for accessing the document storage, which includes a way for Mozilla Calendar to grab the ics files.

Overall it looks like a damn good open source groupware solution. The one thing I see it lacking is a clean way to build other applications for it, but I am only getting started in reviewing the source code.

My goal in creating phpGroupWare was to help give the world a cool open source/free software solution to groupware. As such, I am going to be digging into OpenGroupware and seeing where I can contribute, and where phpGroupWare may be able to fit in. Since they have a nice xml-rpc interface, we can possibly use it as a datastore. I really dont know at this stage, but Im excited by the possibilties.

Dan Kuykendall (aka Seek3r)