Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Filemanager

From: Jason Wies
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Filemanager
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:03:18 +0000

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 06:20:24PM +0000, Bob Crandell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a recent struggle with Filemanger (thanks Dave.  I have a 2 pound bag of
> Peanut M&Ms with your name on it.  Where do you want me to send it?) and a
> conversation with that client, I'd like to request a feature in the next
> release:
> It looks like the process of copying a file into Filemanager consistes of
> placing
> that file into a folder and then registering it in the database with it's
> location
> and permissions.  What I'd/my client would like to see is a way to copy a
> file(s)
> with Windoze Exlorer (Samba) into that folder and have Filemanager
> automatically
> pick up on that fact that there are new files there and give them the
> permission of
> that folder or the user/group that is accessing that folder.

Have the user click the 'Update' button in filemanager, that will do what
you want.  Update checks for new files or directories in the current
directory and adds their information to the database.  It only adds files or
directories in the current directory, and doesn't recurse through all
directories below the current directory.

In addition, the Update functionality is automatically run 1 out of every 20
page loads while in the filemanager.  The reason it isn't run every page
load is because it's very slow, especially for directories served over NFS
or Samba.  If your client is willing to sacrifice some speed for automatic
updates, you can change the code to update on every page load.

In 0.9.14:
filemanager/index.php
<if ($update || rand (0, 19) == 4)
>if ($update || 1)

In 0.9.16:
filemanager/inc/class.uiphpwebhosting.inc.php
<if($this->bo->update || rand(0,19) == 4)
>if($this->bo->update || 1)

> I see that if a user or group doesn't have permission to see that folder, it
> doesn't
> even show up, so it seems a reasonable default action on new files.  With new
> folders, on the other hand, the admin would have to register them and set the
> permissions.

The permissions are handled for new files and new directories.  IIRC the
createdby_id is set to the person who pressed 'Update'.

Jason