[Phpgroupware-developers] Proposal - DB Classes Changes in the API

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Proposal - DB Classes Changes in the API
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 17:26:13 +1000

Hi all,

I will be sending through a few API changes proposals.  Most of this I
will need to do as part of another project which will run within phpGW,
so I am happy to fix it.

Here is the first one :)

Databases
The OO design is a little screwy.  Some duplication can be reduced by
moving some of the function to the common db class - for example the
db_*slashes methods, and they can be overriden in those classes that
need that.

The connect method of the classes are inconsistent.  In mysql it accepts
4 args, which I like, but the other classes don't support this.  I would
suggest that we add the functionality to the other classes.  This would
allow:
$db = new db;
$db->connect($db,$host,$user,$pass);

instead of
$db = new db;
$db->Database = $db;
$db->Host = $host;
$db->User = $user;
$db->Password = $pass;
$db->connect();

A few less lines of code in the app, and it makes it simpler, imho.