Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Testing CK-Ledger v.0.7.1 against phpgroup

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Testing CK-Ledger v.0.7.1 against phpgroupware-0.9.16.RC1
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 15:14:17 +1000

Hey CK,

C=20K=20Wu <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello, Dave,
>
> I think I've found what's going on.
>
> With 0.9.14.006,
>
> ../phpgwapi/inc/class.sessions_php4.inc.php (line 951)
> and ../phpgwapi/inc/class.sessions_db.inc.php (line
> 977) read,
>
> $new_extravars .= "$key=$value" ;
>
> With 0.9.16RC1,
>
> ../phpgwapi/inc/class.sessions.inc.php (line 1194)
> reads,
>
> $new_extravars .= $key.'='.urlencode($value) ;
>
> So, apparently, with earlier versions, it is the
> application script's responsibility to url_encode GET
> variables before sending it on.  However, with
> 0.9.16RC1, the sessions facility handles the
> url_encode-ing when it receives the GET variables from
> the application script.
>
> With CK-Ledger v.0.7.1 running against phpgw
> 0.9.16RC1, it means double url_encoding and therefore
> the callee scripts need to url_decode the GET variable
> one more time to recover the correct value.
>
> I think this will break a lot of the addon module
> codes.  However, if the GET variable passed contains
> pure alphanumeric chars, no error will be detected,
> since urlencode/urldecode in these cases do not alter
> the GET variables.  So, there may be quite a fair bit
> of  spurious 0.9.16RC1 errors being the result of the
> above.

Ok, now I follow what is going on.  I didn't make this change, but I can
understand (and agree with) the logic behind it.  This is my logic with
it, others may disaagree, it is easier to url_encode the variables, once
in the api, than each app maintainer having to remember to encode them.
 It also means that if we ever have to do anything else to the GET args
it can be changed once in the API and all apps automatically get the
benefit.

I understand this will cause some problems with CK Ledger, this is
unfortunate, but I doubt the change will be backed out.  As will all new
versions of the API there are changes.  The 16 API has quite a few
changes, some of which I think you app could benefit from.

I would suggest that you continue testing with the 16RCs with regular
CVS updates, and keep in touch with us.  I am willing to assist you get
your app to run properly on 16.  Please be aware that I do not use CK
Ledger, but am happy to answer any questions you may have.