Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PDF support for phpgw

From: Daryl L. L. Houston
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] PDF support for phpgw
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 14:27:18 -0400

The problem I guess is with making reports customizable, and that can be tricky when writing PDFs because, unlike HTML, they use absolute coordinates, and if you screw up the coordinates, stuff will just flow off the page. I wrote a class that dynamically generates PDFs based on a rowset, but it assumes that PDFLIB is installed. The class Alessandro pointed to (http://ros.co.nz/pdf/ ) looks pretty nifty at a glance, but there'd still be the problem of how to put together an interface that would allow users to build reports (I've done that too, but I was building reports from one table and with a given format). Actually writing simple PDFs isn't hard; it's making the interface flexible and ensuring that you don't have data trailing off the page because there's too much text in too many columns, etc., that gets a little tricky.

Brian Johnson wrote:

Well a variety of info including creating invoices from time data.

I have about 6 reports that I need to concert from MS Access in order to switch
using phpgw as data storage (now that the addressbook splits the orgs and
persons)

I thought my first attempt would be a callout list for a service club I belong
to.

It is three columns with a header and footer with the data grouped by who the
name
of the caller.  Each grouping has a header which is the caller's name.

Daryl L. L. Houston (address@hidden) wrote:
What kind of data and what sort of PDF layout?

Brian Johnson wrote:

There was some talk about adding PDF creation support to phpgw

Anyone know what the current status of this it?

Can anyone give me some help creating some pdf's from phpgw data?