[Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker

From: Mathieu Roy
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: GNU/Linux on the phpGW bug tracker
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 11:13:27 -0000

Dave Hall <address@hidden> said:

> Hi Mathieu,
>
> I did not see this post on the phpGW lists - it was pointed out to me by
> someone.
>
> Mathieu Roy wrote:
>> Browsing the phpGroupWare bug tracker for a bug related to Savannah, I
>> found something strange.
>>
>> I, the field "platform", that people submitting bugs against
>>phpGroupWare are supposed to fill, they are prompted for
>>             "Linux - Debian"
>>             "Linux - Mandrake"
>>             "Linux - RedHat"
>>             [...]
>
>>I'm not sure to understand how mentioning the kernel name can be
>>useful in a report against a PHP application.
>
> It is not the kernel version.  It is the distro.  As you would be aware,
> each distro does things a little differently.  It makes it easy for us
> to notice patterns based on distros.
>
>> So I'm lead to assume that it is written Linux in the sense of an
>> Operating System.
>>
>> This terminology is not supported by the GNU Project, neither does
>> this terminology support the GNU Project.
>
> It is obviously an oversight by someone.  I am not sure who or when.
>
> Please keep in mind, for many of our developers phpGW is the first time
> they have worked on a GNU package - so there is a bit of a learning
> curve.  We do try to educate our users and developers about the GNU project.
>

>> Every project registered as Savannah is asked to use the terminology
>> that GNU support, as a part of the deal for an almost free-as-beer
>> hosting facility. However, your project seems to have been registered
>> way before strict rules have been established on that topic.
>>

> We do try to do this.  If there are any other problems, let us know and
> we will fix them as soon as time permits.

Thanks for your attention,

>> Also, on the phpGroupWare, it mentions that phpGroupWare is part of
>> the GNU project.
>
> Yep and part of DotGNU.
>

>> I think it would be appropriate to changes the content of the
>> incriminated platform field for your bug tracker hosted at Savannah. A
>> trivial modification that could help to promote GNU ideals.
>
> Done.

Thanks a lot :)

--
Mathieu Roy

  | General Homepage:           http://yeupou.coleumes.org/             |
  | Computing Homepage:         http://alberich.coleumes.org/           |
  | Not a native english speaker:                                       |
  |     http://stock.coleumes.org/doc.php?i=/misc-files/flawed-english  |