Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Questions about phpGW : System requirement

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Questions about phpGW : System requirements and limitations
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:22:24 +0200

Would you recommend kernel 2.4 over 2.6?

Sigurd

alex b wrote:
Sorry for the html in the email, testing fckeditor wysiwyg + email from phpgroupware :P

Anyhow:

I’m the resident web wookiee and writing an in-house app for handling the processes here. There are a few options that I am currently considering for ease of development and portability, one of which is integrating with an existing CMS so I have all the neat-o user management, calendar, contact management, and file management. After looking through a few of the packages, I’ve decided on TikiWiki and phpGroupWare… now, phpGW would be ideal because of the webcal integration (TW is really difficult to read) but it pulls about 16-20% load whenever first logging in and switching modules. Main thing I ask of the experienced devs is if offhand anyone could provide a rough guesstimate of whether or not I should give phpGW a shot:

Im not shure about this webcal integration you speak of. You can read ical from it yeah, but depending on what you need, there is non to a lot hacking to do on that part.

< style="font-style: italic;">

Database Server  : Dual opteron > 244 w/ 4 gig ram RAID 5 - 320 (4 disk)

Intranet Web Server : 1.8 AMD / possibly 3GHz and maybe 1gb of memory on it for measure

There will be at the very least 70 employees hammering away at it, mostly adding date/time stamps to entries after initially pulling the server time and calculating a time-offset locally. I went looking for the official dev docs off of the website and most I could come up with is the Hello World app, which is a good start, but I am still left with a lot of questions.

--------------------------
Performance wise, youre nuts. This is huge iron, you will have no problem if:
a) Use mmcache
b) Tune your db properly (i use postgres, it does scale better)
c) Use persistant db connections
d) Use a decent nix (late linux 2.4,  late bsd)

<>-------------------- Oh, and in addition, I gather the db for phpGW is already optimized and indexed, or is that another tweak I can apply myself?

You can still tweak it some by thinking about your usage patterns. Double checking the preferences, config and session tables is generaly a good idea.

Thanks in advance,

Steven A.