[Phpgroupware-developers] [Phpgroupware-users] Modularised OO - Develope

From: Alex Borges
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] [Phpgroupware-users] Modularised OO - Developers discussion
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:51:20 -0600

<snip/>
The way I see PGW is a core set of API (such as user authentication, cookies
handling etc) and a number of potentially powerful applications.
<Snip/>

Ok.... Chriss already outlined that we all agree (or have agreed at some point) to the design principals you so carefully laid down in the previous email.

This part though, especially the 'potentially powerfull' applications is really what we have been concentrating on for the past couple of years... .that is, to move some more of the core groupware logic into the api so it can be used by other apps so the potential of each true core groupware component can be unleashed when its logic is exposed to other apps, which are the ones that should be bringing most of the value to the platform.... Like projects, sitemgr or CK.

The first example of what weve tried is the contacts backend. All its core logic is in the api, accesible from the contacts_sql class. We had it the same way before the new backend (which is more complex than what we had before), but this time we really made a point of it being usable from other apps as the core backend for managing people and organizations.

So the idea is now to use that as the core for most things that have to do with people. Like, we should be setting appointments in the calendar with people (using the contact_id), not with accounts (using the account _id).... that sort of thing. Also

Also, the contacts backend has potential to expose communications data for each contact, person, organization or user so that an application that say, sends messages to people when an appointment is abbout to expire, can consult the contacts backend to see what IM service, email address, fax number or phone does the contact prefer to be contacted by.

In the future the idea would be to hook up gateways to this communication systems. The easy ones would be the instant messenging services and emails, then we could have a text2speech gateway that talked to a phone (part of that has been experimented by dave hall, i understand, with VOIP + contacts -although not the automatization part).

I personally think the calendar is a huge thing that could provide tons of value to other apps. I think its logic to set, delete, update appointments and attach alarms to them should also be in the api and extended so that it was a true schedulling service which may have, as an application, a visual web-based calendar.... or a gantt chart renderer... or both... etc.

Another step in this value integration to the api was taken by the probiz crowd. This guys made a generic infrastructure for syncronization, then they made it speak xml-rpc, then they used a known great client for the syncml protocol.

The generic syncronization infrastructure they made, well they claim they made it only for syncml, but its design is so good that it can be used to sync from/to other sources... and even as a generic syncronization api for phpgroupware's core applications.

This also is being put into the api (to an extent) and plans to use it for a bunch of interesting things are in progress..

So.... the immediate steps for phpgroupware is to move all this stuff we already have into the api or applications to be used by other applications thus lending value to the next release of the platform.

More into the future, the nextgen branch experiments with a bunch of new web technologies and a full rewrite of the api, free of the atavisms of 20th century web development (i allways wanted to say something like that).

So, wellcome, check it out..... we wellcome help allways.