Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] new email app - discussion

From: Christian Rost
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] new email app - discussion
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:55:15 +0000

> Cool, but please use the head version, it has Save as Draft support and
> some other things.  Any maintenance/feature work I do on AM will be done
> using the HEAD version and I hate having to mess around with merging
> patches.

I didn't check out the HEAD version of AM yet, because we're still sticking to
.16 and I didn't start developing. Are there many differences between AM in
HEAD and .16?
What about the .16.xx version in June?

Anyway, I'm going to send you my patches, so you can decide what to do with
them. Further development will be done for the AM HEAD version and/ or your
new email app.

> Let continue the discussion on the list and see where we end up...

So far I'm still checking out the best way to add the server-side email
filtering to AM. IMHO the easiest way will be to add a additional switch to
existing AM filters.

To filter emails within your inbox you have to manually call them when running
AM. That's the point where I want to add a hook for server-side filtering, so
I can use as much of the existing code and functions as possible and don't
have to create an completely new app.

IMHO a new switch will be added to each existing filter. With this switch you
can enable/ disable server side filtering for each filter. The only thing I
have to do is to create the ".procmail" or ".mailfilter" file, containing
"server-side enabled filters" and place them by ftp into the HOME directory.
For those who are not using the same database to authenticate users [e.g.
LDAP, MySQL], we need additional login information to access the ftp-server.
That will be an additional option in the AM configuration.

Other features, like "filter testing", "enable/ disable filter", ... stay the
same.

>  Also let me know if you want an alpha of the new email app to get some idea
> of where things are headed.  Next version slated for ~36hrs (all going
> well)

I'm very happy if I can take a look. :-)))

Cheers,

Christian

--
Christian Rost