Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD: mysql / max key length for utf8

From: Alan Langford
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] HEAD: mysql / max key length for utf8
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:16:21 -0400

Since the message_id and app_name are part of the language independence, why not just restrict them to the latin1 character set so they continue to use one byte per character? A Chinese (for example) message_id seems a little too flexible to me... leave the UTF character sets for fields likely to have human readable (rather than developer readable, grin) text.