Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgw on eyeOS

From: fallingdutch
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpgw on eyeOS
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 08:56:28 +0200

Hello Dave and List,

First of all thanks for your answers, Dave

Comments inline.

> > Now a list of problems i encounter and suggestions i have:
> >  - need for a new authtype and auth derived class
> >  - need for a new sessions class
>
> We have discussed these a bit on #phpgroupware, this should be pretty
> easy to implement.

working on it already

> >  - common->phpgw_final() is registered as shutdown function and writes
> > the footer which should not be done
> >    within eyeOS but also cleans up => a flag 'nofooter' like the flag
> > 'noheader' should do the trick
>
> This already exists and works.  An alternative could be creating a new
> template set called eyeOS which handles some of these issues.

yes, i found the 'nofooter' flag in phpgw_footer() so the phpgw_final()
function shouldn't
be a problem at all.

> >  - it should be possible to have the preferences of an application
> > within the application:
> >    If i start eg Todo i want to be able to change its settings and
> > dont want to start another "Settings"
> >    application to do that ... any ideas here?
>
> Preferences should be a seperate app as it is.  You can use the hooks as
> you like.  So if you were to create the eyeOS template set you could
> detect the current app and create a "setting menu".  The url after
> updating would need to be handled better than it is now.

will check that, any further informations are very welcome.

> >  - on eyeOS each application has its own directory and is started by
> > an aplic.php ... but a lot of code
> >    is used by all applications. Where should we store the framework? I
> > have asked in the eyeOS forum
> >    wether there are thoughts about supporting "libs" so we dont waste
> > a lot of space by storing the
> >    framework in each application directory
>
> Moving phpgw's path around to suit eyeOS is not something I am in favour
> of at this stage, as I would not want phpGW to be dependent on eyeOS to
> function.  Maybe we can look at setting a flag in the header.inc.php to
> handle it.

Neither do I want that phpgw depends on eyeOS. I am just thinking of
how we could make it possible that the phpgwapi is stored somewehre else
and having an aplic.php on root eg a rewrite of index.php which only accepts
menuactions for the current app.

> >  - I found a bug in common->phpgw_header() (already posted #17471)
> > that 'noheader' is not checked
> >  - why is parse_navbar() called by phgw_header() and by many(or all?)
> > apps?
> >    (16, file phpgwapi/inc/class.common.inc.php Line 1144)
> >
> > How eyeOS calls its applications/restriction:
> >  - just a aplic.php is called
> >  - if you want to include other files within your dir use
> > $appinfo['appdir']
> >  - "Note that if the page contains HTML headers (......) or it
> > requires css files,
> >     you should include it from an iframe, otherwise you will disrupt
> > the eyeOS
> >     window management system."
> >
> > My perfekt world would be (so far):
> >  - phpgroupware/index.php calls each application and "draws" the
> > surroundings, like navbar, sidemenu (idots) etc.
>
> phpgroupware/index.php acts as a dispatcher already.  But the app knows
> if it needs to output the header/navbar/footer etc, there is not a
> generic solution to this as you propose.

I don't understand why there is no generic solution? (because i dont know
(yet) much about the way phpgroupware grew and its applications work in detail)
My (very simple) solution would be eg:
fill an array with all the data and then let index.php parse
the information into the given template or not.

> >  - the applications only "draw" themselfs nothing else, no header,
> > footer etc - so using the applications
> >    without navbar etc is done by just calling eg
> > phpgroupware/todo/index.php
>
> this won't work, as phpgroupware/todo/index.php just redirects to the
> dispatcher with the correct method call

if the application would "only" fill an array with data it would work imho

> >  - possibility to have phpgwapi in another directory (so it can be
> > used as a "library" on eyeOS), can be done
> >    by PHPGW_INCLUDE_ROOT, am i right?

this is what I ment by the above "where to store the framework"

> >  - in eyeOS the include directory is not set static but asked from the
> > "os" by $appinfo['appdir'] so -
> >    setting $SERVER_ROOT to $appinfo['appdir'] would be a good idea, i
> > think
> >  - possibilty to have the application at the root so /todo instead
> > of /phpgroupware/todo: then on eyeOS it would
> >    be /apps/todo, /apps/sshclient and /apps/project instead
> > of /apps/phpgroupware/todo, /apps/phpgroupware/sshclient etc.
>
> I am lost here.

too bad :( any other?

Cheers

Bas