Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Licensing

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Licensing
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:24:09 +0100

Dave Hall wrote:
> Hi Sigurd,
>
> On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 15:06 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Is phpgroupware licensed as GPL - or LGPL ?
>>

> As mentioned by Chris, GPL, parts of the API are LGPL (or use other GPL
> compatible licenses).
>

>> Some license-info seems to be missing from our headers
>> see:  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-howto.html
>>

> That is a suggestion from the FSF, it isn't mandatory.  There are
> reasons why it should be more detailed that what they are today.
>
> For classes I think we should be using something like this
>
> <?php
>       /**
>        * Short description of the class
>        *
>        * @author Name <address@hidden>
>        * @copyright Copyright (C) 2000-2007 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> http://www.fsf.org/
>        * @license http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html GNU General Public
> License
>        * @package appname
>        * @subpackage optional
>        * @version $Id$
>        */
>
>       /*
>       This file is part of phpGroupWare - appname.
>
>       Foobar is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
>       it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
>       the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
>       (at your option) any later version.
>
>       phpGroupWare - appname is distributed in the hope that it will be
>       useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty
>       of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
>       GNU General Public License for more details.
>
>       You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
>       along with Foobar; if not, write to the Free Software
>       Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin St, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA  02110-1301
> USA
>       */
>
>       /**
>        * Short description of the class
>        *
>        * @package appname
>        * @subpackage optional
>        */
>         class class_name
>       {
>       }
> ?>
>
> That way we have the PHPdocs and have the text the FSF prefers.  That
> should keep everyone happy.
>
> Quick history less, when Kai added the phpdoc headers the longer FSF
> text was dropped from the headers.  Then when there were problems with
> the headers he left the project.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

If it can go into the PHPdoc-block - it is very easy to put it in by
using a script for all php-files in a given catalog.
(a slightly modified "modernize.php" that take the catalog as argument)
Also - fsf urge to "not abbreviate the year list using a range; for
instance, do not write `1996--1998'; instead, write `1996, 1997, 1998'."
http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Copyright-Notices.html

Regards

Sigurd