Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] manual

From: Sigurd Nes
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] manual
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 00:01:40 +0100

Dave Hall wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-03-03 at 19:24 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> Had a quick look at the manual at egw - they are using wiki for the
>> manual - any reason for not trying this approach?
>> For the link for addressbook they are using 'page=ManualAddressbook'.
>> I would propose to also include the language - something like
>> 'page=Manual<lang><manualitem>'
>>

> IMHO the wiki is not core functionality, but the manual is.  The problem
> with using a wiki for such documentation is that all installs the need
> the wiki installed in order for the manual to function.  Also our wiki
> does not support ACLs and relies on people using (and understanding) the
> wiki syntax.  I think the energy involved in mod'ing the wiki and manaul
> apps to make this work would be better spent on writing the docs :)
>
> The manuals and other docs should be ODT files as produced by OO.o2
> Writer, AbiWord or Kwrite (or MS Office 2007 with a FOSS plugin).  This
> is the most flexible way of maintaining and producing documentation.  It
> also means that we can produce HTML and PDF.  We can even use XSLT to
> convert the docs within phpgw to html.

Found some mention of "odt2html" - do you have any experience with it
(or anything like it)? I think I read somewhere that it was out of sync
with the latest format (I might be wrong).
Would be nice to have the ability to navigate directly to the correct
spot in the manual from where one is crying for help.

Regards

Sigurd