Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] phpGroupWare and GPLv3

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] phpGroupWare and GPLv3
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 15:32:21 -0500

On 7/4/07, Dave Hall <address@hidden> wrote:
I hope that in the coming weeks we can release a new 0.9.16.01x GPLv3
version of phpGroupWare.

What's the drawback of leaving it as "v2 or later"?  seems there are
benefits to this due to the v2 and v3 incompatibility.

I see drawbacks to full-on changing to v3 as well, such as the 3rd
party libs we use that are not yet v3 and not "v2 or later" (are there
even of these?), we will have to stop using them.

I say we leave Stable alone and evaluate the "need" in HEAD.  If the
libs allow v3 then we can change head.

However, I don't think v3 has any effect on us at all.  tivoization
isn't really and issue, and being PHP, neither is DRM, and given the
lack of corporate interest the rest of the issues are moot as well.
The only benefit I see to us might be the new Apache license
compatibility, which could open up some 3rd party stuff for
integration.