[phpGroupWare-developers] SyncML interface, code release 1

From: Johan Gunnarsson
Subject: [phpGroupWare-developers] SyncML interface, code release 1
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 01:13:07 +0200

Hey,

Here comes a small update on my progress with the synchronization
interface (which I do as project in this year's Google Summer of
Code).

I use the test suite release by the org behind SyncML as a reference
in my development. It's a Windows program, and works horribly bad on
both Windows and in Wine. It has received a fair bit of rage from me,
especially when it decides to crash for various cryptic reasons and
logs errors like this:

Error Log
Toolkit error : Unspecific error

Still, I've managed to pass 25 of its 35 tests. Good progress, I would say.

The code will be commited to CVS this week.

This obviously not a complete implementation yet. Features are left to
implement. Among them are:

* WBXML support. A binary XML format heavily used by mobile devices to
reduce bandwith. Still looking for solutions to this. I have been
eyeing the WBXML PECL extension, but it has some drawbacks.

* Per-database auth.

* Currently only notes app supported, but I'm using a very modular
backend design so any module that has a decent ipc interface could
potentially be connected without much of hassle.

* Conflict handling.

* Protocol features like multiple messages per package and splitting
large object into separate messages.

--Johan Gunnarsson