Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] phpexcelreader

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] phpexcelreader
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:38:21 -0500

On 8/31/07, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> This one seems to be very useful:
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpexcelreader/
>
> license. is 3.0 of the PHP license.
> Can we use this as "PHP add-on" as mentioned in
> http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html ?

from the licensing front, I think we can use it if the admin installs
it (dynamic linking?), but we cannot include it in our tarballs
(static linking?).  applying linking rules it php code is, well, kind
of fuzzy.

Best bet is see if the author will allow a dual license, or consider
relicensing (see some ammo below).

<rant>

The interesting think about using the php license though is that the
way the license reads, it can ONLY apply to compiled code distributed
by the php group.  It's recommended only for php add-ons, otherwise
known as extensions, because this has a chance of being included in
the official php distro.

If you actually read the php license you'll understand why.  Item 2 is
irrelevant.  Items 3 and 4 say that one has to email address@hidden if
you make a derivative work and want to use "php" in the name or
advertising even though the script code is not derived from php.  Item
6 requires a lie since the script doesn't contain "php software", only
code that is php engine compatible.  Items 1 and 5 apply to the
license itself and use of it.

Anyone using the PHP license for code that isn't a php extension has
obviously not read the license, and it also doens't even apply to many
extensions.

</rant>