Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] linking items across applications

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] linking items across applications
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:42:21 +1100

On Sun, 2007-10-28 at 15:17 +0100, Sigurd Nes wrote:
> Maat wrote:
> > Dave Hall a écrit :

<snip />

> > 'app1_id' => array('type' => 'int','precision' => '4','nullable' => False),
> > 'app2_id' => array('type' => 'int','precision' => '4','nullable' => False),
> >
> > => what if targeted object id is a string or something more complex ?
> >
> It is preferable to have the id of origin/destination as integer -
> this table would easily exceed hundreds of thousands of records.

We have the same problem with the location field.

I think it is time to seriously reconsider how we handle "location"s.  I
don't think this data belongs in an ACL related table.  Although the
data is used by ACL2, it can also be used for many other things.

The same goes for "appname".  We already have an applications table,
which is under utilised.

We should seriously look at what optimisations can be made with our
database schema and data by using a more normalised schema.

I know it seems like we are now starting to drift OT, but these are
issues that should be considered as part of any changes to how things
are done within phpgw.