Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: [Phpgroupware-cvs] [18946] drop extern

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [phpGroupWare-developers] Re: [Phpgroupware-cvs] [18946] drop externals - core is a module in its own right
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 22:57:07 +1000

On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 14:13 +0200, Maât wrote:

> this allow to move from a version to an other
>
> => each module leaves it's own life and have it's own version and
> phpgroupware brings all together

I have discussed this with you many times on IRC.  The core part of the
phpGW (admin, addressbook, calendar, email, filemanager, notes,
preferences, setup todo) function as one.

You have even agreed that it wasn't your preferred option, but you would
accept it.

> with a trunk/tags/branches for each module (wether core or not) you will
> be able to have tags for each calendar version

Most application versions are nothing more than a db schema change.
When module APIs change there is no version bump.

> with a big hardcoded core with everything inside you will loose this ability
>
> from quality and source control management this is awful !
>
> svn:externals are a far less ugly approach for project management
>
> what we agreed before was wether some apps would be considered core or
> not core : what you are doing is pure nonsense !

No, what we agreed is that some modules would be included in a core
module.  The list of such modules was well publicised and agreed.

> appart a few specific dirs (if they exist)  without this setup/* system
> all these modules need to have a specific versionning life
>
> WHAT YOU ARE DOING IS STUPID :

I don't think that there is any need to shout especially in emails which
you know are being sent after the fact.  You had ample opportunity to
discuss this further on IRC.

Rather than engage is an adult discussion on IRC this evening (my time)
you chose to be hostile.  I will readily admit that I was annoyed about
the situation and let this show in the discussion.

If you wished to change the agreed position on how the tree was to be
structured you were free to do so, but not via svn commits.  You should
have raised this on this list before commencing.

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
Coordinator - Community Building
phpGroupWare
e address@hidden
w phpgroupware.org
j address@hidden
sip address@hidden
|_|         |_|                         |_|Web based collaboration platform