[Phpgroupware-users] support, apps and cvs (was felamimail driving me c

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-users] support, apps and cvs (was felamimail driving me crazy)
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 16:50:18 +1100

Bob Crandell <address@hidden> wrote:

> Dave Hall (address@hidden) wrote*:
> >
> >Bob Crandell <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> Right after I posted that, I did an update which erased my
> >> squirrelmail.  I believe
>
> >> SNIP
>
> >> tarball to you, if you like.  It should be tiny.
> >
> >Count to 10.  Only stable apps are in the stable branch of cvs.
> >Squirrelmail was dropped as of the 0.9.14 release and replaced with
> >felamimail.  I am not sure if it is in HEAD, but it will be in the
> >Version-0_9_12-branch of cvs.
> >
> >If we keep old or unsupported apps in stable cvs we have people
> report>that the apps don't work.  There is enough work supporting
> the current
> >stable apps.
> Since you put it that way, I see your point.  However, it's not
> too hard to say,
> "It's not supported.  Try ..."  Or, "Are you volunteering to
> support it?"

If they are in the current cvs branch then people think they are
supported.  Old apps which have been dropped stay in the last stable
branch they were released in.  Apps which we still hope to find
maintainers for are in head, such as tts.

Anyone is free to checkout from any branch they wish, but I (and i think
many others) will not be providing support of old or unstable code.
Supporting phpgw is a time consuming job, there are handful of us to
provide this support.  We must make sure we don't spread ourselves too thin.

I would love to find new app maintainers (support providers, doc
writers, testers, donators, philanthropists etc), I am constantly
seeking them, but they are hard to find.  If you or anyone else is able
to assist in any of these areas please let me know.

> >As for apps being 'deleted' by cvs updates - this is normal cvs
> >behaviour, afaik, as the file is not there in cvs.  I always
> backup my
> >files and db before running a cvs update - just in case.  btw i
> haven't>seen the email on the dev list :)
> Still, some of those old apps work and are being used.  Not seeing
> the email
> explains why nobody responded.  I had someone explain email as
> being like a bad
> phone call to a foreign country.  Sorry.

Yes the old apps may still work, that is why they are in HEAD, but they
did not make it through the RC process and so were dropped.  Generally
an unmaintained app will not make it throught the process.

> >> I normally use the stock email program.  I only use Squirrelmail
> >> for searching.
> >
> >I only use the stock mail app :)
> I have mail from the phpGroupware mailing list that goes back to
> December 2001 and
> from the Samba list that goes back to April 2002.  It's nice to be
> able to look for
> that answer I sort of remember seeing awhile back.  I can hardly
> wait for the
> ability to search across multiple folders.

I know this is something angles is working on.

Cheers

Dave

<snip>