Re: [Phpgroupware-users] wiki issues

From: Brian Johnson
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] wiki issues
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 15:07:39 +0000

Marc Grober (address@hidden) wrote:

> Brian Johnson wrote:
>
> > Comments about wiki's ..
> > 1. there IS a tag based mark up system .. the first page of the wiki has
> > links
> > to info
>
> Actually I looked at the info on formating available (both links to
> wiki.dotgnu.org  do
> not work and I used the primitives to mark up the URLs as not functioning)
> and it looked
> like there was a way to format, but being it was very limited and was not
> what I would
> call tag based, though I suppose primitives like === could be called  a
> tag...  and
> there
> are some issues in their use, such as the stricken text feature......

It seems the wikitavi project page is having db problems, but here is the link
that should work to provide help with wiki formatting:
http://tavi.sourceforge.net/FormattingRules

Most wiki's will take html tags and the other formatting controls are really
shortcuts for matching html tags.

> > 2. you make a big assumption that the final format will be oo.org (and not
> > html, docbook, ascii, mscrap, etc., or a combination)
>
> I think you could call it conjecture based upon prior postings here
>
> > 3. I haven't seen anything as easy for users to use (combination of no setup
> > on their hardware and limited editing skills required) for large numbers of
> > contributors while maintaining version control
>
> there is a cost associated with everything.....
>
> but none of that addresses the question of whether the wiki should contain
> html mark-up
> or not,  nor does it address how documentation will be moved from the wiki to
> some other
> form, if that is the intent.

The phpgroupware wiki is intended to be used for a doc development system to
allow as many people to contribute as possible.  Since docs always seem to be
a weak point for software (not just open source projects), it was important to
make it as easy as possible to contribute.

The concept is that app maintainers can then extract information from the wiki
for use in their app documentation which is stored in a few places within the
app directory structure (notes on that are here
http://wiki.phpgroupware.org/index.php?page=ContentsPage)

Currently the format that the docs are stored in within the apps is a mixture
of ascii, html, and other .. we're trying to organize:
a) a method for many people to contribute to the app documentation
b) a method that limits public write access to the "official" docs within the
apps
c) a doc storage and access organization method within the app to make it easy
for normal users while still providing docs to admins and developers