Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Modularised OO

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-users] Modularised OO
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:18:33 -0600

this is more appropriate to the developers list, please join and continue there.

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 10:42:01 -0000, Matt <address@hidden> wrote:
> In a good design I would expect there to be fairly clear boundaries between
> app and core.  I will assume that is what we have and carry on.

there is

> In order to "slim line" the code it would be good IMHO to separate apps into
> modules designed to run with the PGW core.  Some I feel need to get there
> own Sourceforge area so that they can be developed for PGW more fully.

they are.  Most just have their own module in CVS, some, like CK-erp,
are seperate projects.

> By documenting fully our core we might stimulate other developers to create
> applications that run with it - thus expanding the range and scope of our
> project with little or no additional effort.

more documentation is surely welcome

> -Add/remove app - this would need to be added or documented as necessary.

uh, /setup/ login, click "manage applications".  it even handles dependacies.

> -API "fully exposed" and documented - nothing that shouldn't already be
> happening.

done, except some docs are lacking.  the code is clean though so a
"developer" can learn what it does pretty quick like

> that's it, that is all that is really required.  Of course it would be good
> to so wrap up each module to install uninstall and be distributed separate
> from the core but let us start with the first step.

each app is seperate, we bundle it in the same tarball for
conveiniance.  Some distro's that package phpgw split each app to its
own package though.

> -Creation of standard "wrappers" to handle: theme "immersion", user
> authentication, and standardisation of any internal core protocols.

all is class based, so done

> Now if some applications were removed from PGW and set up to be optionally
> added then we would have a handful of projects but a fast and efficient
> download and install.

"fast and efficient" is an interesting debate.  Idealy you'd do it all
through phpgw's setup, but to do that the whole phpgw tree needs to be
writable by the web server, and now you have a monster security hole.

> It would not be unreasonable to create wrappers for an existing open source
> app and instantly have it available to add to the system should the user
> desire.

like the fudforum and phpsysinfo?  unfortuanly, due to the design of
HTML, you can't do this without a modification to the other app.  the
app's templating needs to support being embeded.

I'm going to stop here because there's a trend.  You're on topics
we've covered, and solved, years ago.  You help is certainly welcome,
there are areas where improvement is needed.  Please do dive in and
take a look and provide some suggestions after you see how all this is
glued together.  If I've misunderstood your points, please clarify,
but do so on the developers list, it's off-topic on the users list.