phptest-users

[Phptest-users] phptest news

From: Brandon Tallent
Subject: [Phptest-users] phptest news
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 09:09:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello everyone,

I thought I would give an update on what's going on
with phptest.  After spending some time customizing
phptest for a couple different people, I am back on
track and working on the next version.  There have
been a large amount of changes since 0.6.3, and I'm
working on sorting them out and getting them all
integrated into a realtively (hopefully) bugfree
release for 0.6.4.  Here are some of the new features
forthcoming:

- new question type: short answer.  This will allow
you to type in a short answer to a question, which
will be compared with the stored answer.   For
instance, the question might be "how many ounces are
in a pound".  The test taker could then type in 16,
sixteen, or six-teen, and all of those answers would
be correct if you set the question up correctly

- new question type: multiple checkbox.  This will
allow people to choose one or more options out of
several available.  There will probably be two
variations: one that will give points for each
correctly answered option, and one that will only give
points if all options are answered correctly

- smarty template system conversion.  All of the
display and logic code are being seperated into two
parts.  It will be possible (and hopefully easy) to
make changes to the layout without modifying the php
source.

- removing limits on multiple choice questions.
You'll be able to choose how many alternate options
you want, instead of being limited to 3

Aside from that, there are several new language
translations and a lot of bug fixes and other small
enhancements.  Looking down the road, my next major
set of goals is going to be adding import/export
support to some open xml test standard.  That way
people will be able to use questions from other
testing applications.  I guess they'd also be able to
move their phptest data out easier if they weren't
happy with it.

Brandon