pika-dev

Re: [Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre4 tarball broken

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Pika-dev] pika-0.1pre4 tarball broken
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 22:22:11 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>

    > Yeah, that's fine.  Sorry, I used star-merge the first time I merged
    > with you, but when I asked in #arch for their recommendations about
    > branching and merging, I came under the impression that star-merge was
    > intended for complicated purposes and replay --skip-present was for
    > the general case

I'll bet I can guess who you spoke with :-)

    > so I tried that and it worked and even applied the
    > patches a little bit faster so I just stuck with it.

It's not even wrong -- it's just surprising.  --skip-present should
ideally be viewed as an esoteric feature only for use by People Deeply
Immersed in How Arch Works and who additionally, Have a Difficult
Patch-Flow to Solve --- it shouldn't (ahem) be casually recommended on
#arch as a superior replacement to star-merge.

    > Anyways, yes, I'll switch to using star-merge from now on.  Sorry
    > about the problems I caused in your branch. :-(

I don't think this caused any serious problem and, even better, it
drew my attention to the issue.   I really hadn't thought through the
interaction of these two merging techniques before.

-t